Evan,

1st) check whether  IPLing from VTL is possible or not. Sometimes you can't because of firmware restrictions

2nd) I think you have the SAS LTO and VTL on BOX1 with AIX and only VTL on BOX2 with IBM i. Have you tried to create a tiny LPAR on BOX1 (even with temporary license) and access both devices at the same time?

I don't think you can duplicate different tape formats using any tool different to IBM i OS and DUPTAP. Maybe with same tape drives you can get any kind of trick to physically/binary duplicate, but this is not even near that case. And you want to IPL from VTL...