TOTALLY disagree. VHMCs are awesome!!!!

Why do you not like vHMCs?

VHMC does:

-Boot up in 10% of the time of a physical HMC.
-Takes *ZERO footprint in the data center.
-Costs 1/3 of the physical HMC
-Updates put on vHMC are incredibly faster than Physical HMC as they don't spend 10 minutes during EVERY update waiting for the physical server to boot up.
-With VMWare you have automatic remote console to the thing rock solid.
-You can trivially and quickly clone it to another X86 stack for redundancy as well.

POWER Based HMC:

-is twice the size of an X86 HMC (2U) and infinitely bigger than vHMC
-four times more noise
-double the power requirement (and thus cooling)
-triple the cost of vHMC

Sure it has IPMI remote port on there, but is it supported? IBM told us NEVER to use the remote console on X86 HMCs as it was not supported so I'm guessing this will be the same.

POWER Based vHMC is a non-starter in virtually all shops. They don't have enough quantity of Power Systems.

And don't get me started on VPM!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com