Fans of rolling their own CL-pretty won't like it much, but I use the RDi formatter a lot - and I choose to put each parameter on its own line - at least to start on its own line.

Indentation is also available in CL in EDi - it indents decision blocks where is a DO, basically. Now other kinds of indentation, well, again, if you do your own, you can turn formatting off in RDi.

Evan, you mention "...gets moved around..." - in fact, the pipe characters are NOT invariant in the various EBCDIC CCSIDs - the asterisk and the letters are in the same place in all of them, so they are safer when working in various national languages.

Besides, I never remember which direction which arrow really controls - it's almost as bad as the buttons on an elevator for opening and closing the doors - I never get them right!!

Cheers
Vern