From: Peter Dow [mailto:petercdow@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:02 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: CPYFRMSTMF & character conversion

Hi Justin,

When you say "fixed-width", are you implying that there is no record delimiter (e.g. CrLf )?

A FLDDFNFILE is pretty simple (see
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1015514) -- you can use a source member for it.  As an example if you have 3 fields in the target file, named Fld1 (numeric 10.0), Fld2 (alpha 3) and Fld3 (alpha 5), and your fixed-width stream file has 2 of them, the field definition file would look like

Fld1 1 10 0
Fld3 11 15 0
*END

That's field name, start position, end position, and null character value.

Of course, if you have a lot of fields, it could get tedious.

--
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.