We do the same from our student system but all of those are automated and set to go under known pre-defined conditions. We average sending about 5,500 a day and maxed around 18,000 on day in the past year. We actually have all of our applications use a command, RPG call, stored procedure to "send" the email which just writes it to a database table. Then we have a never ending job that reads the database and uses the SMTP APIs (using a 3rd party interface that makes it easier) to push the email from the database into the SMTP engine. Also has a way to detect that the "TO" address is a phone number and instead of SMTP uses a call to a web service to send a text. We let employees access their "sent" database records to see what went out and let students see their "inbox" database records for up to 6 months (then we purge the database). Have very few issues with this process and when there is we can easily force a resend from the database

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:51 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IBM i SMTP email service

Mike,

In regard to your idea about building an IBM i application that sends mail through the IBM i SMTP service, that's what we did in our student information system:

https://imgur.com/a/zNRfJ

It sends messages to any number of recipients.

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 9:11 AM, Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx>