I also change the command defaults right in QSYS. I have a job scheduler
job that run 7 days a week at 11pm which consists of the following commands:

DFLTAPLUS - changes Abstract print files to the page size I want
DFLTCMDP - changes command defaults in QSYS
DFLTGN# - Changes ProGen Plus print files to the page size I want
DFLTOTH - Changes misc stuff, like authority to some objects
DFLTPRTF - Changes all system print files to the page size I want
DFLTTAA - Changes all TAA Tools print files to the page size I want

I too have been doing it this way for 15+ years with no issues. Takes 3-4
minutes to run.