Thanks, Jim, Rob, everyone who replied!

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh, and the little stuff, like changing your line descriptions from CMN02
to CMN01 or some such thing, is just something you can do after the
restore. No big deal. Either change the configuration object or wizard
yourself around in SST to change the resource name. (I've done it both
ways.) Like I always change TAPMLB01 resource to something to match what
I want.

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/20/2017 01:24 PM
Subject: Re: Migrating extant system to new hardware

I would restore OS and all from your tape.
There is a warning in the backup and recovery manual about restoring to a
different system.
Appendix D is the classic Bible on doing an unload/reload to a different
system.
The thing you are concerned about is:
<snip>
If you are restoring to a different system, or a
different logical partition, you must specify
ALWOBJDIF(*ALL) or ALWOBJDIF(*COMPATIBLE) on
the RSTxxx commands and SRM(*NONE) on the
Restore Configuration (RSTCFG) command.
</snip>
Or from the menu restore option pay attention to
<snip>
On the Specify Command Defaults display, enter the name of the tape drive
that you are using for the restore.
Set Prompt for command to N.
Set Message queue delivery to *NOTIFY.
Set Restore to different system to Y.
Set Spooled file data to *NEW.
</snip>
especially the "Restore to different system" prompt This will change the
defaults to match the commands above.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_
71/rzarm/rzarmsteps2.htm

Failure to change SRM can <expletive deleted> up your system, big time.

Of course, BRMS prints a nice recovery checklist which I've actually used
to do unload/reload from P6 to P8.
Jim scoff's at the idea of using BRMS to do a planned unload/reload
because he's so comfortable doing these. And he may be right. Me? I
figure it was a good test of their recovery procedures.

Basically, just follow the fine manual. They did not write this manual
for people like Jim, Larry, Pete. They wrote it for the masses.

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738