From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:56 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Easiest PTF Upgrade Retrieval

Paul,

Did you know that the command INSPTF does all the stuff that the menu GO PTF, option 8 does?
And that INSTYP(*IMMDLY) on INSPTF is identical to "The last option, apply type, I use option 2."?

Just in case you want to automate this...

Read the help! The default on INSTYP is *SRVATT. *SRVATT says go look at your service attributes. The default shipped on service attribute is "IPL my system automatically as soon as the install is done". This scares people like Jim from encouraging INSPTF to the general population, out of fear they won't remember to change that.

Then again, running this command on all of your systems is a nice safety
feature:
CHGSRVA PTFINSTYP(*DLYALL)
This will change it from the shipped value of *DLYIPL which basically says load them all up as delayed and automatically do an IPL.
Then if they run INSPTF with the default of *SRVATT it will still look at the setting in CHGSRVA. Upon seeing *DLYALL it will load all PTF's as delayed to be installed upon the next the the user manually performs their IPL.

At least that's the theory anyway. There are some PTF's marked with "I don't give a tinkers dam if the user says to apply this PTF delayed. I am going to apply it as soon as they load it on to their system.". I have some experience with a few of these. And a little disruption because of it. That being said, I still load them up with *DLYALL a few days before any IPL is scheduled.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755