From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Evan Harris
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:52 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: upgrade to v7r2 or v7r3

Hi

I just did two V7R1 to V7R3 upgrades in the last week without any of the issues reported in the recent thread you referred to. I have done quite a number of upgrades over the years - maybe not as many as some on this list but a fair number nevertheless - so maybe that accounted for it being what I would consider relatively painless. Getting the preparation PTFs and production compatibility right is usually the key to an easy upgrade.

I would make a list of the 3rd party applications and utilities on the systems and IBM LPPs and then work through the Memo to users for *both* releases and see if anything can't be upgraded to V7R3. If it all ticks off as "V7R3 compatible/certified" then I would look to make that the target version.

Do the same thing with any 3rd party tools and LPP products - i.e. check with the vendor to see if the current version is supported or requires additional work to go to a new release. That may colour your thinking on what the easiest upgrade is. You will want to get the upgrade steps for all these products as some products e.g. WebSphere can require additional steps like changing JVMs etc to prepare for the upgrade.

V7R2 Memo to Users

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzaq9/rzaq9.pdf?view=kc

V7R3 memo to Users

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/rzaq9/rzaq9.pdf?view=kc

I also found the following document handy

“Supported IBM Java Development Kit (JDK) Versions by IBM i Operating System Version and Release”:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1011999

As a number of JDKs have been retired this is worth spending a little time on, particularly if you have WebSphere or any other java based stuff.

One thing I did notice - quite a bit of the documentation has moved to Developerworks which was a tiny bit different from the past APAR approach:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20and%20Related%20Software

Make sure you have enough space for the image catalogs (the images in ESS are now a mess in my opinion but oh well) and the PTF images and don't forget to assign additional space to the load source.

The pre-upgrade verification tool is nice but I don't rely on it; I do run it as if/when it passes the tests it makes customers happy plus it helps get things like an IPL for "apply PTFs permanently" done.