From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob
Berendt
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:51 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Killing the old i5

There's a couple of ways. Expect Paul to provide his usual suggestion
regarding firearms and Tannerite (available at any WalMart, but probably
not in the quantities that Paul uses).

Many of us remove all of our stuff on the system and then go into SST or
DST and then initialize it there.
Some remove the stuff, and then try to write over it and then go into SST
or DST and then initialize it there.

For writing over it (after you remove your data) CRTNWSSTG does a dandy
job.

IBM sells something to do a DOD wipe (DOD = Department Of Defense). I
don't think you need this, especially since you also plan on cracking open
the cases.
I will admit, firearms on them can be fun. Drill presses can also be
effective.
A reel to reel tape, shot edgewise, got little to no penetration when shot
with a .50 caliber muzzleloader shooting a traditional round ball. Sure
whipped that reel downrange though.