Thomas:

Larry and I deal with this stuff constantly which is why we pick it up.

To directly answer your question you have two sets of constraints. First
constraint is Power5 equipment and Power7. The documentation for HMC V8
specifically states it will not support Power5, hence you cannot get past
the latest available V7 software for your HMC.

The second constraint is the level of FSP code on your POWER systems will
determine which HMC code you can run as well. For instance if you have P5
Firmware level SF240_358, then the HMC software can be up to V7R79 SP3. How
did I find that? Goggle: "POWER code matrix"

Your Power7 system (assuming an 8202-E4D) will support firmware AS770_116
with HMC code V7R79 with SP3. So now if you have the FSP code at those
levels and your HMC at 7.7.9 SP3, you've got the latest code that will work
for both systems.

Knowing that V7 is no longer supported (meaning they won't create a fix for
a fault) is part of the cost of running older equipment. And frankly since
you most likely have not had any issues with the HMC and the system it's
highly likely you won't have any problem at all.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects