The infrequency of how often I have to do these updates,
and my inclination to follow the steps IBM proscribes,
always confuses me.

Exactly how do you determine the difference between a recommended upgrade needed for updating another system
(as in, update your HMC so it works with new OS400 update)
with a recommended upgrade only because your current software version is out of support?