ORM's are a completely different can of worms.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Olson [mailto:Matt.Olson@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 2:21 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Database I/O Modernization

If you really want to do all of those things, you may want to take a look at ORM's (Note: this is not an RPG thing but is a tool used by most other languages like Java/C#).

The only language I know of that has brought ORM methodology to the "next level" though is .NET as they have LINQ (Language Integrated Query) which allows you to query any object as if it was a SQL table using familiar constructs.

This is just a short example of linq: https://mathewrphillips.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/why-linq-is-awesome/

A recent project we did, where by we removed all SQL querys and instead transferred it an ORM and utilize LINQ reduced our C# code base for that one project by 34.5%! We now do not have a single line of SQL code in those programs as the ORM generates all the SQL querys on the fly based off of your data model that you define once, and can reuse everywhere. That is developer productivity! Want to change your model? OK, when you do you will get compile time checking of every LINQ query and it will tell you if anything is wrong BEFORE you run your program. How many times did you put a typo in your embedded SQL in RPG? That is a thing of the past with ORM's.

NOTE: You do loose a bit of performance, but it is negligible. For the millions you will save in consultant / developer hours you can buy those new shiny SSD's you've always been wanting to make up the performance drawback.