On 7/21/2017 1:08 PM, Dan wrote:
I like this idea. The only potential downside is being able to deploy to a
few users at a time to ensure we don't bring 200+ revenue generating users
to a complete standstill.
I'm unaware of a single case where an ACS / Access for Windows / Client
Access / PCSupport upgrade brought my company to a standstill. Which is
not the same thing as saying that it's not possible, but consider this:

If I were to selectively install/upgrade Access for Windows on a few
test subjects, and it went sour, it's a fair amount of work to roll them
back to the prior version.

Rolling an ACS version back is as easy as renaming a directory.
ACS -> this is the production version, 1.1.6
ACS_1.1.4 -> this is an earlier version
ACS_1.1.5 -> this is an earlier version

All the links point to ACS. I could easily revert all of my clients
back to 1.1.5 by renaming ACS to ACS_1.1.6 and renaming ACS_1.1.5 to ACS.

Alternatively, your test subjects could get a second set of desktop
shortcuts, pointing to something like ACS_test, which contains the
unzipped 1.1.7. To have them test, they use the 'test' icon. If
something goes sideways, they use their 'normal' icon. When ready to
deploy, just rename ACS_test to ACS and everyone is enjoying 1.1.7.
When 1.1.8 comes out, unzip /that/ into ACS_test and the circle of life
rolls on :-)