I made it a personal standard not too many years ago, to always create
functions using VARCHAR parameters instead of CHAR parameters, because I
found myself making that mistake too frequently (attempting to pass a
VARCHAR to a CHAR parameter without an explicit cast).

Our organization is still on 7.1, arrgggh :(

I hadn't noticed this enhancement.

Thanks Sue for sharing that. I'll get to use it, someday!

Mike

Something in SQl that I assumed woulld work

I am surprised no one else has pointed out this 7.2 enhancement.

In 7.2, we introduced a castable process to function resolution. One of
its benefits is that it will find a function defined with a CHAR parameter
when the argument is passed as a VARCHAR (like a string literal). You can
read about it here:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/
db2/rbafzbestfit.htm

Sue