On 3/8/2017 5:25 PM, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
On 3/8/17, 2:08 PM, Don Brown wrote:

I still have a 5251 model 12 that was going to become an aquarium. And I
have actually used every one of those + more.

Then you'd be the person to ask these questions:

1. Is it true that the earliest 5250 data stream terminals had panel
lights instead of a status line?

No. Well, not exactly. On the right side of the black bezel were written:

System
Available

Message
Waiting

Keyboard
Shift

Insert
Mode

Input
Inhibited

On the actual display phosphor, next to these were either a full
rectangle indicating that the given state was asserted, or a thin
cursor-like line or dash, indicating that the state was de-asserted.

To the right of these was the power switch, and a vertical row of LEDs
which varied depending on the model 525x that you were looking at, but
they were more like 'Processor check' stuff than operator status.

2. Did any physical terminal have the type of "alphabet soup" status
line seen in WSF and RUMBA?

'Any physical terminal' is a broad category.

3. What was the 5252 really like?

Even more craptastic than the 3742, bless you for asking. I must have
been very wicked in a previous life to know that in this one.