(face plant)

Because your laptop is not where it needs to be when the system fails.

Oh and it's not supported so if it doesn't work and you need to do something with the server such as a repair action you are hosed.

Plus your consoles will not be available to anyone but you.

AND you are hoping the Power System will be OK with the HMC coming and going all the time. Sometimes it's cool with that. Other times it doesn't feel like connecting.

HMC is notatoy. It really does need to be there 24x7. And it needs to be within 30 ft of your Power System too or, like one of my customers, you get to waste a fabulous amount of time walking in and out of the datacenter to your laptop because the HMC is 100+ Miles away near Detroit. They have really 'saved money' by not purchasing a second HMC. :-)

For screwing around sure. Had a Thinkpad HMC a decade ago. It was pretty cool. :-) But for production. No. Just NO.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com