Except for the part where there is no connection in the DC to use to attach to said far far away HMC. That is "Not Allowed" I'm told. So you have to go out to a conference room or front Lobby, crank up your wireless hotspot and VPN back in. Oh yes they have wireless but you need a congressman, two guys with violin cases and dark jackets, and a couple hours to get a key to sign into it. Thus it's worthless.

Then there is the part where they keep breaking the link so the console because it's 100 miles away so sessions crash and burn. Or the three days we had no connection at all due to 'network changes' so we had no way to add cards into the server that we needed. Or the parts where latency causes the thing to disconnect at the worst possible moments. Although that hasn't happened in almost half a day now.

A remote console for backup is great and absolutely positively better than no HMC. But a local HMC for each datacenter isn't just a good idea, it really is mandatory.

I look at it this way.

1 Power System $50,000 with memory, cards, etc etc.
Several copies of IBM i. $15,000 (and up) per license.
Many LPPs etc. $50,000 to ???
2 Fiber Switches $15,000
1 SAN with plenty of storage $40,000 and up.
Some sort of backup be that Tape or VTL $10,000 and up.
Network switches, UPS Power, boxes of cables.

But you save $6,000 ($3K for virtual) by not purchasing that second HMC to be local.

Does that really make sense????

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com