Heh. I guessed BPCS. I recognized IIM right away. If you look in the source, you may see some of my comments. ;)

And yeah, especially with a file like the item master, you don't want to be recompiling the world every time you add a new field.

Thanks, Booth, Joe and Buck.

I agree with all said.
I should have shared that, this was BPCS code back in the late? 90s but
the company bought the source and
severed all ties ever since, otherwise i completely agree with the
approach outline by Joe below and then
to a degree what Buck pointed out. I also have found what Booth said to
be true most of the time, we (I?) make a
boogeyman of the behemoth task but it is often over 'worried'.

Anway, i should clarify, i'm looking for the kind of -reasons- to make
this a palatable project to the VP & CIO types.
I'd like to go to them and say "here's what we should be doing, and here's
why we should do it".

I do what i can, bit by bit, but something (it seems to me) this important
should gain purchase as a bonafide project/goal.

Thanks,

John