On 2/27/2017 2:04 PM, JRusling@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
Anway, i should clarify, i'm looking for the kind of -reasons- to make
this a palatable project to the VP & CIO types.
I'd like to go to them and say "here's what we should be doing, and here's
why we should do it".

If you can explain technical debt to your management in a way that
shakes out money and time for repairing it, please share your technique!

I do what i can, bit by bit, but something (it seems to me) this important
should gain purchase as a bonafide project/goal.

Despite my sourness above, there is hope. That hope is gradual
refactoring. Which is a hard problem! But the point is that I have
been able to make new tables/views/functions/procedures on the way to
implementing new functionality. Sometimes I need a trigger to
temporarily (ha!) populate the 'new' side, but I can write triggers in
RPG, and so put conversion logic in where needed.

I'm doing that, right now, without any mandate from on high.