On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Alan Campin <alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't know if anybody has said it but the problem with learning new
languages is using them. You can spend the time, learn a language but
unless you have some reason to use it, it just isn't going to stick. That
is the kicker. You really need to be in place where you can use the
language.

I think you were the first to bring this up in this thread, but since
then several people have agreed, and I'll be the next.

I'll also take this as my segue to make a formal pitch for Python,
which has already been mentioned a few times in this thread. Aaron and
Roger have suggested that it's one of the easiest languages to learn
and use, and I could not agree more.

Python is a great choice for general purpose or undirected learning
because it is so widely applicable. Virtually anything that Java can
do, Python can do just as well or better, and almost always easier.
Python can be used for fairly sizable projects as well as for quick,
little scripts (the latter of which Java is not particularly good
for). It can be used on the i or on your PC, Mac, or Linux/BSD box. So
you WILL be able to use it, almost no matter where you work, or what
you want to try on your own time. You can put Python on a USB thumb
drive and use it from there, if you can't or don't want to install it.

Python is a favorite language among both beginners and very advanced
programmers, which is saying something. There are several other
languages that are similar to Python in terms of capabilities,
expressiveness, level of abstraction, and programming paradigm (Ruby,
Perl, and Lua are the first that come to mind), but Python has the
distinction that it's... the least "weird" of that bunch. At least, I
personally found Python the least strange and intimidating. (And my
brain is pretty mainstream, having been brought up on Basic, Pascal,
and C.)

I did a few blog articles about Python on the i, in connection with
the official iSeriesPython website:

<http://iseriespython.blogspot.ca/>

To repackage a couple of things Justin said: In your position, where
you don't have a predefined mission or a mandate from your employer,
you may want to dip your toes in a bunch of different things in the
early going and see what speaks to you. I think you will find that
you're more likely to use and stick with something that you like
rather than something that checks all the "right" boxes.

And whatever you learn, the fact that you're learning *something* will
make it easier to pick up whatever it is you DO eventually need to
pick up for a job or whatever.

John Y.

P.S. I know, that was way, way too long. Blame Roger! ;)