I don't know if anybody has said it but the problem with learning new
languages is using them. You can spend the time, learn a language but
unless you have some reason to use it, it just isn't going to stick. That
is the kicker. You really need to be in place where you can use the
language.

Very true.

Non-profits are a great outlet for learning something new.

For example, a few years ago I wrote an integration for rfkmankato.com that
communicated with PayPal that allowed campers to be sponsored. I didn't
know AngularJS at the time, so given the hype it had I chose that as the
front-end.

The other thing to do is look at the needs of your current employer and
develop something on your own time. You'd be surprised how tangibly
relevant some of these technologies can be even if they're only used on the
intranet. For example, I am finishing up a small mobile app for a customer
that wanted to scan boxes coming off a truck. Before the Android app they
had a "dumb" scanner (no interface) and couldn't tell which boxes were
remaining and which had already been scanned). This meant that they would
have to walk across the shop floor to a PC to remedy issues.

The technologies used were Cordova (aka Phonegap)** on the Android device
and Node.js on the IBM i, which in turn calls existing RPG programs for
business logic. Total project time, around 60hrs. These low-risk projects
are great for testing the waters with new technologies. Don't start out
rewriting your entire ERP in a new language that you're unfamiliar with
because there is no end in sight (those projects take years).

**Allows you to write app using HTML/CSS/Javascript without touching Java
code. Very useful.

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces