On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Bradley Stone <bvstone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Prompt CHGSMTPA. Let me know the values for mail router, firewall and
forwarding hub domain. That will clear the air.

MAILROUTER: *NONE
FIREWALL: *NO
FWDHUBSVR: *NONE

Maybe let us know what
you're using to send email as well (ie, SNDDST, etc)

We're using net.data and MMAIL.

No, because your mail router delivers it! That's for your mail router to
deal with. All we care as the sender is that we're using the proper mail
router to pass the email off to.

I'm not sure what you mean by "delivers it". Aren't we talking about IBM i
sending it? What do you make of the MAILROUTER *NONE setting?

The connection between the client (your PC, an IBM i or your phone) needs
to connect to the proper mail router to deliver mail in most cases.

I'm not sure of your point about PCs or phones, except you appear to saying
that the IBM i email function is the same. I don't see it that way. Let's
continue...

What
do you use for your PC email?

I don't have a PC email client. I use web interfaces for gmail and yahoo,
personally. I do have email clients on iPad and Android devices. But again,
what is their relevance to a discussion about sending from IBM i?

What ISP? What are the SMTP, POP, and IMAP
settings? You've set that up before, right?

In regard to an ISP, IBM i doesn't need one in order to send mail. In
regard to SMTP, POP, and IMAP, are you asking about IBM i setup or PC
setup? I have some experience with both.

Why shouldn't we be able to send from a Gmail account, Nathan? Or any
account or domain?

I'll assume you mean sending mail from IBM i applications, using a gmail
address. Frankly, I've never considered that. We always send from email
addresses with domain names that map back to our IBM i server (MX records).
If I want to send from gmail, I login to gmail, which obviously doesn't run
on IBM i.You're making me think.

You should be able to use the IBM i to send from ANY email address. All we
need to do is make sure that when we do we are using the proper mail router
for that account. A company can have more than one domain and for each
domain one of many sending addresses.

In regard to sending email from ANY email address, are you saying that you
hold the credentials for the accounts?

I can send from Yahoo, Gmail, BVSTools.com, Maplestonemn.com, Outlook,
Office all from my IBM i.

Again, are you saying you hold the credentials for those accounts on your
IBM i server?

Some of my customers send from many different accounts at a domain. Others
send form many domains. Some only send from one address and one domain.
And some actually use a gmail.com address.

For clarity sake, I hope you answer my previous questions. It sounds like a
spammers dream to be able to send mail from any account at any domain.

That's why a system wide setting for things like mail router,
authentication user and pw, etc don't always work.

We can pick that up later...

With regards,

Nathan.