On 2/14/2017 4:33 PM, Aaron Bartell wrote:
I care only if I can access the functionality from an RPG program via
CALL/PARM or CALLP/sub-procedure. The things we can execute that way are
'IBM i' and the things we cannot are 'PASE'.

So what consider when calling directly, via api, PASE C libs?
http://yips.idevcloud.com/wiki/index.php/PASE/LIBPASE

It's a CALLP, n'est pas?

The things we can execute that way are 'IBM i' and the things we cannot
are 'PASE'.

I'm not concerned with the system's call stack. If the OS chooses to
route a bit of work this way or that way... that's some cool trivia.

If I need to try to walk a colleague through setting up a socket server
in node.js, and then walk him through setting up the socket wrappers in
RPG, and then walk him through blocking/non-blocking, blah blah blah...
well, that One Thing That Only Node.js Can Do had better be worth it.
And what is That Thing again?

I'm not trying to single out node.js! Fundamentally, most of the PASE /
5733OPS stuff solves a different universe of problems from what I face.
What I most certainly don't face is anything internet related. IBM is
about 20 years too late to that fiesta. My employer has a dedicated web
group, who only do web programming; both intranet and external. My
Power 8 will never see public internet traffic, and the skunk works
projects that I have deployed for my own use on the sly have... drawn
unwanted attention.

I have a Twiki running, I have Wordpress, and Wikimedia. I have some
PHP stuff that basically turns an SQL VIEW into an editable grid.
CGIDEV2, sure. But it's all for nothing, because we RPGers have been
explicitly told to stick to green screen and leave web programming to
the web group.

And so I sit here, wondering whether to click Send or delete another
one. Because how cool would it be to have an RPG program running in
green screen 'link to' a wiki page where the end-user can keep her notes
on how a given display / program / application works? Like RDi's
integrated help? How wonderful would it be to have an RPG program be
able to call Diffie-Hellman routines that some kind soul wrote with gcc
and nicely put into Git?

It seems to me that what is happening is a cosmic shift; new apps are
going to be in PASE / open source, and the rest of the platform - the
ILE 'native IBM i' bits - are going to be the rust blister that comes
along for the ride. If I'm right, we'll see much more development in
the 'PASE can call RPG' side of things. I can see bash scripting
calling RPG sub-procedures, for instance.

Things change. I change things for a living. It's good.