Hi Nathan

Having more machine instructions than you would like is a vastly different
statement than "doesn't run on the i".

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I see those processes running in WRKACTJOB, they have a job number, they
create IO, they perform work, they communicate with other processes, they
share the database, I can manage them with native tools. How are they
"not
running on IBM i".

It's hard for me to see how saying it doesn't run on the i because it
doesn't run in an environment you personally approve is anything but
splitting hairs.

If you dive down into the call stacks, you will see clearly labeled
boundaries between procedures; those which are running in the native
virtual machine (using single level store), vs. those which run in PASE
(using teraspace), vs those which run in the JVM.

Yes, I agree that an ILE process (C, RPG, COBOL, etc.) "can" invoke PASE.
The vast majority however don't.

Frank Soltis explains in various writings that JOBS running in the native
virtual machine (using single-level store) require only 1 machine
instruction known as a branch in order to switch between concurrently
running JOBs or threads. Other operating / virtual machine environments may
require a thousand or more machine instructions to do the same.

One thousand (or more) machine instructions to one, in order to perform
task swapping is a material distinction in my book. That's one of Frank
Soltis' reasons for labeling *nix as being designed as a single-user
operating system.

HTH,

Nathan.