From: "Ira Chandler" <ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/01/2016 09:49 AM
Subject: RE: IBM i and Java

We use Java for one particular communications job in our software and it
has
proven to be very fast and efficient. Actually, every one of the
networks
with which we are certified has a dedicated Java for the HTTPS POST
secure
communications. We benchmarked against the same HTTPS POST
functionality in
RPG and the Java was an order of magnitude faster. Maybe that is a bit
of
an exaggeration, but still way faster.

Our experience with this limited function has been exemplary. While no
fan
of Java in any way, it seems like it could be a good tool. We do NOT
use
Websphere at all, and from what I have heard, THAT is a whole OTHER
world of
hurt. We have been told by IBM that they will not support Java as a
standalone language - meaning not running under Websphere. We have had
few issues over the years, and their first question is what version of
WS,
and when told we do not use it, their support evaporates. Feedback from
our
customer base on Websphere is not glowing.

The Java Toolkit seems to be pretty bulletproof, as it has presented
zero
issues over the many years that we have used it. All use of Java in our
system has the Java sitting on a data queue, waiting for a record to
process
(transmit). The result is then sent back through another data queue to
another RPG program. This has been very effective for us, as we only
have
to use the comm functions and avoid all data access in Java.

Ira Chandler
Curbstone Corporation
Technical Services - 888-844-8533
https://curbstone.com/email_disclaimer