The difference is that I switched the software out. I didn't just stop paying maintenance.

Sent from Lotus Traveler

mlazarus --- Re: Collecting data for article on Software Migration on new Hardware ---
From:"mlazarus" <mlazarus@xxxxxxxx>To:"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>Date:Fri, Aug 19, 2016 5:40 PMSubject:Re: Collecting data for article on Software Migration on new Hardware
Rob, I certainly respect that vendors' need to make money. Your points below show that it's usually a wise choice to keep maintenance, since you'll be receiving something of value from the vendor (a new version, assistance with the upgrade, etc.) But when nothing of value is being provided other than to allow the current software to continue working due to a new serial number, I have a beef with that. IIRC, it was that you has dumped at least one vendor that was trying to "extort" your company for a massive licensing fee for no additional value. -mark On 8/19/2016 10:51 AM, Rob Berendt wrote: > > We're talking about updating some paperwork/database for > something they have already paid for and would like to continue to use. > > > Let's say the company had zero revenue because all their customers felt > the same way about maintenance. > Who would supply the key? > After all, the employees would have left for jobs which actually paid > them. The lights would have been shut off. The web site would be down > because no one paid the ISP. > > Keep in mind, all of this is in the software maintenance contracts. You > made a conscientious decision to lose all this ability, including the > simple stuff like just a new hardware key, when you decided to forego > maintenance. > > This has been brought up on this list numerous times so it's really tough > to plead ignorance as to just how tough it would be on you if you decided > to forego maintenance. > This has occurred time and time again. > - S/3x to AS/400 migrations > - CISC to RISC upgrades and the object conversion issues then > - numerous other hardware upgrades > - upgrades from V5R4 > > > Rob Berendt > -- This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listin -Your data has been truncated.