Larry,

AFAIK, when application software is purchased (e.g. an ERP system), that software is licensed to the customer. They can generally use it in perpetuity. In order for the vendor to have some semblance of control over where it is run (tier, number of LPARs, etc.) the algorithm tends to tie it to the serial number.

Maintenance, on the other hand, is a service that is contracted with customer. It usually includes tech support and upgrades. If the customer chooses to forgo that service, why should that impact their ability to upgrade their hardware (assuming the same tier, LPARs, etc.)?

-mark