On 09-Aug-2016 11:51 -0500, DrFranken wrote:
On 09-Aug-2016 11:30 -0500, John Yeung wrote:
On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Dan wrote:
[…] I have no experience with the new emulator. […]

Me neither. I certainly would not mind trying it out, though. It's
just not something I can download and try on my own, as far as I can
tell. (I'm not the keeper of the ESS keys and whatnot.) […]

Ah but you CAN try it out on your own!!

[http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/access/solutions.html]

It's right there, download the base package!! You do not need your ESS
access only an IBM ID.

Seems only a /registered IBM ID/ is capable to access the download; that is a step beyond the classic IBM ID, with which I was already logged-in when I visited that link -- I was directed to register depite clearly being logged-in. Not having a /company/, only lies to their registration software allowed continuing the upgrade to the the ID.

And seems, indeed, merely "try it"; as apparently, the download license\terms reveal the typical 70-day trial\"Evaluation License".

And then come to find that my metered bandwidth *and* 70 days were both _wasted_ on that download; the net, summed up in the following message when I clicked on the instructed file: "You can't open the application IBM i Access Client Solutions.app because it is not supported on this type of Mac." Nothing in the readme or anything else I saw suggested any pre-requisite.? Certainly not very useful to know that the software "runs on most operating systems that support Java, including … Mac", but no implication that my Mac would be excluded :-(