Sometimes, Nathan, sometimes it seems you don't really get what OAR is about - I suppose you might call it an interface - depends on what you mean by that term.

OAR says you have a keyword, "HANDLER", and if that keyword is set for a given file, then every time an IO operation is requested for that file, the RPG runtime goes to the program or service program specified in the HANDLER keyword.

The parameters the handler will receive are defined by OAR - I suppose that would be the interface.

As the manual says, OAR is the linkage between a standard RPG program and a handler that will "handle" the several native IO requests in that program. OAR is part of the RPG runtime.

The OAR whatever and handler don't solve anything on their own. One of the things you receive in the main handler parameter is which operation was requested - and you write code to process that as desired. The CODE in the handler is what solves the problem, not OAR itself.

I'm probably missing the point somewhere. You mention something you call SQL IO - I'm not sure what that means, either. For me, SQL is the technology used to carry out the IO requests made in the RPG program. It gets input from the database component of the system and delivers output to that component.

Every IO opcode in RPG can be seen as a parameter to a call to the database engine - things like DBGETM (get multiple), etc. A handler gets buffers and names and states - it has to get the same results, in this case, as standard native IO. It doesn't matter HOW - SQL is just one way to do it - you could do this with counting on your fingers, if you had an API to call to do that.

Someone said they did not need to use OAR for stuff - they already knew how to use APIs for that - and that is true - an OAR handler is a kind of traffic cop for calling APIs or whatever to carry out requests for data operations.

Enough rambling - must go to play keyboard in pit for Little Mermaid - I'm a harp - I'm steel drums - I'm a tambourine - I'm an average string section - where in the world is Carmen San Diegp?

See you later
Vern