I've read this
Considerations for changing QPWDLVL from 0 or 1 to 2
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/rzarl/rzarlconsdchg2.htm?lang=en

They list some applications that work well with level 2.
I'd like to see some known gotchas and workarounds (if any).

Reasons why I'm thinking of going to level 2:
- Allow passwords longer than 10 characters. We still may limit them to
something reasonable.
- Allow mixed case and upper case passwords in NetServer without that
disabling their NetServer access.

If you change this you have to IPL before it takes effect.
Is it possible to modify the signon screen to just make the password field
our chosen maximum instead of the full 128 characters?
I've modified sign on screens in the past to put things like "our next
scheduled downtime is..." but I was wondering if chopping of field entry
size throws a wrinkle into process.

I ran the
PRTUSRPRF TYPE(*PWDLVL)
and only found two "user" profiles that was ok at 0 or 1 but not at 2.
There were two Q* "ibm" profiles which it has issues with.
A bunch that weren't ok across the board but I assume these are the people
with password = *NONE. Spot checking agrees.