On 17-Dec-2015 16:32 -0600, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
<<SNIP>> Just to digress - and I found this interesting, and thanks
to you for making me dig into it - the COMMENT ON statement of SQL
actually puts those long strings into the respective parts of the
object - the COMMENT on a table appears in the OIR,

To be clear, the LABEL equates to the TEXT which appears in the OIR; [unless something wildly has been changed about the OS then] the LONG_COMMENT [aka REMARKS] for a DBF appears only in the *FILE object. While perhaps not unique to the Database File (DBF), the Database feature stores the TEXT in the file and the OIR, and thus allows for the potential mismatch to which I had alluded. One reason the DBF might have the TEXT stored in the object, is that the DBXREF retrieves information about the object, from the object, and if only stored in the OIR, then having to additionally redirect to the OIR would require a second paging request.

and those for columns are in the main body (wrong name, but OK) of
the *FILE object.

The LABEL and COMMENT of _columns_ appear in the Record Format (*FMT) object; as a composite piece of the DBF, the RcdFmt will appear in the Dump Object (DMPOBJ) of the *FILE, and those remarks and labels [both the TEXT and Column Heading (COLHDG)] will appear in that separate *FMT object.