On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 12:41 PM CRPence <crpbottle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, that seemingly could suffice as the reason the value is /known/.

But "a LABEL statement" does not equate with "_the_ LABEL statement
for the TABLE"; i.e. LABEL ON acts on many more than TABLE objects.
IOW, what /specifically/ was the generated statement?

LABEL ON TABLE SCHEMANAME.VIEWNAME
IS 'A long string of human readable english' ;

GENERATE_SQL generates 3 label statement, at least when I invoke it the way
I do. The one above, and two large ones that ad the label and text values
for the columns

What am I doing wrong?
Possibly nothing.

In this case I think your right.

The data, in fact, may not _be_ in the catalogs.<snip/>

So to summarize, QSYS2.GENERATE_SQL() is looking in multiple places for the
label statement, And QSYS2.SYSTABLES.TABLE_TEXT does not. My mistake is
once again assuming that DB2 for i is a perfect abstraction of IBM i
objects.

These files were in fact created with DDS. The view I just created in DDL,
did have its label show up in the system catalog.

So Chuck, I should probably reread your response every month or so until my
knowledge of the IBM i deprecated and proprietary methodologies catches up
to where I can understand everything you said.