Paul,
Couple of items to be aware of:

S814 4-core has max memory of 64GB (P05 BTW). 6 & 8 core are 1TB
S824 Max memory and CEC PCI slots only available if 2 processor boards are installed

With three partitions, I encourage my clients to consider external storage, either v3500,v5000 or v7000 depending on requirements. With dual VIOS you can usually fit all required adapters in CEC. Without VIOS you are looking at 3-4 slots per LPAR (2 Disk, 1 NIC, 1 Tape), which is going to require 1 or 2 EMX0's.

How much memory is too much? If/when it exceeds your budget. Need to look at $/GB on the different size DIMMs.

Steve

date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 19:14:06 +0000
from: "Steinmetz, Paul" <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: P7 8205 upgrade options

Rob,

1) When the S814/S824 first came out In August 2014, S814 had mem max of 512gb, S824 had mem max of 1tb.
In May 2015 these have since doubled, S814 mem max is 1tb, S824 mem max is 2tb.
So memory is one factor in choosing S824 over S814.
I currently have 256gb mem, capped to 3 LPARS,
Production 196gb,
R&D 40gb
Sandbox 8gb.
Normally I double the memory when ordering a new box, so I am considering 512gb.
We all know more is always better.
Raises the question, how much memory does one really need?

2) Cores/processors/sockets/software tier
S814 - 4 (3.02),6 (3.02),8 (3.72) cores
S824 - One or Two 6 (3.89), One or Two 8 (4.15) , Two 12 (3.52)
Currently, I have an Two socket 8 (3.55).
Only 3 i5/OS licenses, 5 remaining cores active and idle.
Production capped 1.5
R&D capped 1.0
Sandbox .3
I needed to order these to gain the 2nd GX ++ loop and max memory.
No more loops, and max memory no longer a factor.
Over the years, I had Production LPAR capped at 2 CPU.
Only 1 CPU was every used, 2nd CPU never touched.
Based on performance history, no LPAR ever used more than 1 CPU.
A S814 4 or S824 6 should be fine.
Another factor would be the software Tier.
S824 P20
S814 P10
I could reduce from P20 to P10 if I could make the S814 work.
This could really add up in savings when considering all the 3rd party software required.
So, how many cores do I really need?
Why pay for unused active cores?

3) Everything else is equal for the S814 and S824.
L2, L3, L4 cache, disk slots.
S824 has 11 PCIe slots where S824 has7.
Previously, this was an issue, now the EMXO PCIe Gen 3 IO drawer is an option.

Paul