There is an escape code that needs to be sent to the printer to tell it to use black & white mode -- and unfortunately, the Host Print Transform does not send this code.

I fixed this at a previous job, about 10 years ago, by inserting some code using the USRDTATFM exit point... but it was 10 years ago, and I don't remember the specifics anymore, sorry.

In our case, we were using the printer's statistics to charge appropriate departments within our organization (each employee used their own signon to print to this printer, and we charged their departments a different rate per page for B&W vs Color, this is why we had to fix it.) So we had code in there to insert their userid for the printer to recognize it when printing from IBM i, as well as set the B&W mode (IBM i never printed color)... it was fairly complex.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the specifics. But, maybe this will help you look in the right place? (PJL manual, perhaps?)