Jeff,

I suppose if everything is on the SAN and the SAN is down, it doesn't
matter that you can't look up internal resources; might as well let
everybody surf the net.

But for most companies, allowing access to internal resources is more
important than providing access to external resources.

Personally, I'd consider having a stand-a-lone server providing backup
AD/DNS services.

Charles