Bottom line: Of all the options provided, the program Scott wrote is going
to be A) most accurate and leaves little doubt about the results, and B)
will be much faster than the other options.

CHKIN/CHKOUT were meant for very different purposes (potentially related to
this but different nonetheless) and are not really suited to the task at
hand, they are workarounds.

As to your question about CHKIN your point is well taken, however the
command does put locks on directories and files and while it is the cure for
some of the problems if that command does not complete normally it leaves
behind problems that you may not know about until it's a crisis. I've had
to recover too many machines were IFS objects were missed on all the
backups, and the error messages ignored as "normal", providing an
unrecoverable system. If critical files were in that list the fun really
begins. Fortunately most of the time the files involved are of a less
important nature that can be rebuilt given other data sources. Still that
leaves too much room for doubt. I avoid those to commands as much as
possible since their relevance today is mute given what most people are
doing.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect