On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 17:12:30 -0400
Glenn Gundermann <glenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Does the access api work for a folder or does it have to be a file?

I was hoping it works for a folder but the information in the IBM Knowledge
Center says a file.

If I pass in a folder name that I know exists in the IFS, -1 is returned,
which means failure. Can I debug the access api to see why?

If access is only for files, what is the best way to check if a folder
exists? Use the open api?

Here's the relevant part of the code I am trying.

DCL VAR(&PATHNULTRM) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(513) /* Allows +
for path of 512 bytes + extra character for null +
termination. */
DCL VAR(&MODE) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4)
DCL VAR(&RTNVAL) TYPE(*INT) /* 0=file exists, +
-1=file does not exist */
DCL VAR(&NULL) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1) VALUE(X'00')

/* Check if folder for source lib exists. */
/* Call IBM API. */
/* &RTNVAL: 0=file exists, -1=file does not exist. */
CHGVAR VAR(%BIN(&MODE)) VALUE(0) /* Set access mode +
to test if the file exists - F_OK */
CHGVAR VAR(&PATHNULTRM) VALUE('/ARCHIVED_SOURCE/' +
*CAT %TRIM(&SRCLIB) *CAT &NULL)
CALLPRC PRC('access') PARM((&PATHNULTRM) (&MODE)) +
RTNVAL(&RTNVAL)
/* Folder for source lib does not exist so make it. */
IF COND(&RTNVAL = -1) THEN(DO)
CHGVAR VAR(&DIR) VALUE('/ARCHIVED_SOURCE/' *CAT +
%TRIM(&SRCLIB))
MKDIR DIR(&DIR)
ENDDO

Yours truly,

Glenn Gundermann
Email: glenn.gundermann@xxxxxxxxx
Cell: (416) 317-3144

Let you have a directory /home/somebody/somedir,
IFS file /home/somebody/somefile.txt,
and you don't have any object
/home/somebody/noobj.txt.

CL command CHKIN usually do nothing.

In this case, if you run commands, you will see mesagges

CHKIN '/home/somebody/somedir' CPFA0DA

CHKIN '/home/somebody/somefile.txt' No MSG

CHKIN '/home/somebody/noobj.txt' CPFA0A9