Interesting.

I had a call with a large customer last week in the TX vicinity and they told me a story about a rat chewing through their power cables and taking out their primary data center.

These were mainly Windows and Linux VMs. In their case they said the cutover to their secondary site was pretty instantaneous for hundreds of VMs.

Fact or fiction. Who's to say...........

It still comes down to experience levels, preferences and affinity to a selected platform that doesn't give you the heeby geebies.

And the luck of the draw when drives and power does fail as you experienced recently eh ? :-)

No backup plan is foolproof without regular testing.

Regards,

Richard Schoen | Director of Document Management Technologies, HelpSystems
T: + 1 952-486-6802
RJS Software Systems | A Division of HelpSystems
richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rjssoftware.com

------------------------------
message: 3
date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 20:05:47 -0400
from: DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Samba

*I* would question the sanity of running an M$ server for 365 days
without patching the security holes!!! :-)

On an app by app level you can do a lot with either platform, no doubt.
But the bigger they get the multiplication factor of all those VMs gets
pretty zany in the MS world.

One of my customer has a planned switchover test every quarter. They
happily switch their Power Systems (IBM i) to the backup and pretty much
sit back and wait. Wait for the Windows guys to give up. Last time I
heard (late 2014) they got exactly 100% of the IBM i apps up in 20
minutes and exactly 0% of the Windows apps up in 6 hours. They have EMC
SAN replicating all their VMs and Cisco blades for all the apps with MS
SQL Server for the DB on that side. Not a single thing was running when
they pulled the plug and switched back. Their argument, at least in part
was, "Well of course it's easy for you guys you only have 7 VMs, we have
hundreds!" It should be noted the 7 Power System VMs run the
corporation, all the MS stuff is surrounding and supporting.

This cannot be the norm (I hope) because MS would be bankrupt but they
certainly are not the only one with this issue!

So your point of accessing IBM i with Windows and other supporting apps,
sure can be done effectively. Honestly running an entire corporation on
it, yeah heeby geebies all day long.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com