On 26-Mar-2015 11:43 -0500, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
<<SNIP>> Please always use the message id.

Good luck with that. Decades of asking, and still, so few will provide that simple yet important detail :-( The lack of context for the messages, context beyond just the failing request, is also consistently omitted; i.e. effectively, the details from the spooled joblog or F6=Print give necessary context for the message. Seems that those who are most dependent on the assistance of others, remain so, because they tend to ignore the advice they are given repeatedly.

This allows us to pull it up on our systems and look at the message
detail. I have a utility to scan but others may not. <<SNIP>>

That of course presumes the "us" would have access to the same language as the person reporting their /message/ as text-only rather than including the non-translated Message Identifier. While many seem oblivious to the fact, not every installation in the world will have the USEnglish NLV 2924 installed as a primary language, nor even have the language(s) their system uses installed as either a primary or a secondary language; by giving the MsgId along with the text, then at least there is more opportunity to pick-out the replacement values, and the reader also can see the version of that same message identifier in their preferred\installed language.

Seems almost as though, those seeking assistance are disinterested in easing the task of others to provide the inquirer with the help they seek. At some point potential responders might decide just to ignore their requests, and deservedly so IMO. Oh wait! I sometimes do already, and much more often than in the past. And when my cable internet connection goes away soon, perhaps I will ignore the reading part too.