Not exactly plug n play, but workable.
I've seen the api & downloaded a sample pgm after the first incident.
We are lights out from 6pm to 7am, plus all weekend. Even in lights out, we
take a large volume of transactions, both in and outbound, plus users and
customers online.
In last 3 weeks have had 2 incidents - one where TCP failed to start, and
last night where TCP failed to end (stuck in NFS). We do a large amount of
processing from midnight to 7am, so any issue is bad. We have monitors for
QSYSOPR messages, that wake someone up, but neither of these incidents
issued a message...
Another thought is that we give the job xx minutes to complete, and issue
alert if not complete - but if smtp down, then no email going out the door.

Got your last email - we are Notes (for now, but it's going out (parent
corp decision)). Still, the concept can work outside of Notes.

Jim