The first thing I would do is to determine which side you are running, A
or B. We recently had an incident in which we 'assumed' we were on the B
side to only find out we were only on the A side. This causes a lot of
grief with PTF application. To determine which side you are on do this:
DSPPTF
You should see:
IPL source . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ##MACH#B
If this ends with an A instead of B you will have troubles.

This often happens when you've recently upgraded your OS. That kicks you
over to the A side. That is what happened to us.
Multiple ways to get back to the B side:
- PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*CNTRLD) DELAY(120) RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(B)
- On a single lpar machine with no HMC you can set the buttons on your
front panel to select the B side.
- On the HMC you can set that partition properties to IPL from the B side.
It's a good idea to verify 2 and 3 in case you ever have to cold start
your machine. Like from a complete power failure or some such thing.