Someone suggested using QuadStor for a Virtual tape library.

It looks like a decent product and claims to support most of the
devices/libraries that it should. Support looks at best sketchy (email and
telephone "on a need basis")

The size of the system you run it on can get quite large allowing for any
number of tape images and it looks to support most of the tape types you
would care about.

Then the pricing comes through. $2400/Yr. subscription for each system/node
it is backing up. So a three partition system over three years would be
$21,000. Now add in the cost of the hardware and Linux support and you've
easily matched the cost of other VTL systems. If you have a 5 year lease
on your equipment (I see many of those now) the cost goes up to $36,000 and
you still don't have the rights to run the software without the
subscription. Yes there is maintenance on the other systems too, so in the
end they work out about the same, except you have to own, build, and
maintain your own hardware.

Looks like a reasonable solution and maybe for a single node it makes sense
since the capital cost of the VTL is spread over multiple years, (less the
cost of the base system to run it on) but it is certainly not a low cost
provider in that space.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect