It should be clearing pending logs, providing the job has ended.
I have system value QLOGOUTPUT set to *PND on all 14 lpar's of IBM i. A
mix of 7.1 and 7.2.
I have GO CLEANUP set to 7 days. I've no problem with you keeping yours
for 31. Some people would absolutely hurl over how long I keep journal
transactions.
The oldest, on ALL lpars, job that appears using WRKJOBLOG
JOBLOGSTT(*PENDING) PERIOD((*AVAIL *BEGIN)) is 12/31/14. I just verified
that.
If you are seeing joblogs for months then I suspect your cleanup jobs are
not running or you have a PMR situation.
Let me try something...
4. End cleanup
CPC1E1A - Cleanup ended.
DSPLOG Nothing of note...
2. Start cleanup at scheduled time
CPC1E1C - Cleanup will start at 22:00:00.
Nothing of note.
Apparently this doesn't start or stop jobs. This just flags other jobs to
work or not.
Ok, let me try this:
WRKACTJOB
Current
Subsystem/Job User
QCTL QSYS
QSYSSCD QPGMR
Job: QSYSSCD
10. Display job log, if active, on job queue, or pending
F10=Display detailed messages
Job 308366/QPGMR/QCLNSYSPRT submitted to job queue QCTL in library QSYS.
DSPLOG PERIOD((2200 010715))
CPI1E93 - Cleanup of job logs and other system output started.
From job . . . . . . . . . . . : QCLNSYSPRT
User . . . . . . . . . . . . : QPGMR
Number . . . . . . . . . . . : 544190
CPI1E94 - Cleanup of job logs and other system output successfully
completed.

Let's make it really easy:
DSPLOG PERIOD((*AVAIL *BEGIN)) JOB(QCLNSYSPRT)

1 - If you do not have QSYSSCD running you have issues. Resolve that.
2 - If QSYSSCD is running but you still have outdated joblogs (pending or
spooled) then you have issues. Check that QCLNSYSPRT runs at the scheduled
time with the DSPLOG command from above.