IOW, in the steps you have the switch set to Normal. And let's 'assume'
your switch is set to the usual 'B' side also.
Then you do the PWRDWNSYS ... IPLSRC(*IMGCLG) and it will do it's thing
and compute to leave you on the 'A' side after the IPL.
Then you're supposed to apply PTF's as part of "Checklist: Completing the
IBM i upgrade or replacement"

Then, right the flip in that step it boldly states:
Note: If you do not install the cumulative PTF package now, you need to
perform an IPL and let the Initialize System (INZSYS) process complete.
Before you do, set the IPL type to B (or the IPL type you use for everyday
operation) and then set the mode selection to Normal. Initialize System
(INZSYS) recovery has more information on INZSYS.
Again, FTM or Follow The Manual (or if you prefer, Follow The 'Fine'
Manual) and you'll be just fine.