Rob,

If i understand correctly, you tried to have a program run in a hosted
partition while the DISKs for said partitions were unavailable due to the
hosting partition being offline? In any other OS (AIX included) that would
have resulted in a crash, kernel panic or guru meditation (whatever the
cool kids are calling it nowadays). AFAIK only IBM i's LIC has the ability
to simply halt all processing until the disks re-appear. But it's just
that, all processing HALTS (It's one of the very good reasons for a Dual
VIOS setup).

Back on topic, were you trying to see how much time elapsed between the UPS
notifying the hosting partition and the system going down? or was it more
of a "i want the hosting partition to notify all others to come down before
i do"?