On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Mark S Waterbury
<mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think a more accurate characterization of run-time environments would be:

Portable Application Solutions Environment (PASE)
PHP
Python
Perl
Power Ruby
(most other "open source" interpreted languages ported to IBM i
using GCC, etc. ...)

I haven't heard of anyone using Python in PASE in many years.
Certainly there may be some folks out there doing that, but the Python
I use, and which I constantly talk about on these lists, does not run
in PASE. It's a fully native application written in ILE C.

In fact, that is one reason I keep advocating so actively for it. I
try to acknowledge the other languages, as they are *in principle*
approximately the same programming paradigm as Python, and I'm fully
aware that one's credibility and persuasiveness suffer when one
appears too biased. But one thing that does set Python apart from the
others on the i is that Python is NOT a PASE language, and that does
confer some tangible benefits, like better integration with native OS
features and better performance than it would have if it were a PASE
port of standard Python.

John Y.