All:

In this thread, a proposal being discussed in "multi-hosting" is the idea that if each customer has their own IASP, they could potentially have the same OS/400 library (*LIB) name(s) ... but I do not think this is true, for the following reasons:

AFAIK, you cannot ever VARY ON an IASP if it contains a library name that is already in *SYSBAS or in another IASP that is already varied on.

Perhaps someone can "test" this in an LPAR using virtual DASD to create multiple IASPs (they could be small virtual disks, just one disk each, for such a test), to experiment to prove this hypothesis empirically ...

I think support for IASPs was added to OS/400 mainly to support "High Availability" with the ability to VARY OFF an IASP and then vary it on to another LPAR (or another physical system, when using disk clusters) e.g. to do "back-ups" of IASP1 while IASP2 is still "in use" ...

SUMMARY
Absent the ability to VARY ON two IASPs (dsk pools) that contain the same library name, how could you ever have two jobs active at the same time on the same OS/400 image (or LPAR) where one job access LIB1 in IASP1 and the other job accesses LIB1 in IASP2? Because if IASP2 cannot be varied on, how can you ever issue SETASPGRP to access it, or start a job with that IASP in the *JOBD?

Mark S. Waterbury