Hi, Kenneth:

A single large IASP of ~8TB, even if only 50% occupied, will take a long time for RCLSTG to analyze.

The following approach may help ...

Instead of one large IASP of 8TB, why not have 8 IASPs of 1TB each? That way, in the event of a system crash, you could attach and vary on each separate IASP in a different LPAR and then run the RCLSTG process "in parallel" ... I would think this should complete much faster than running RCLSTG against a single large (8 TB) IASP.

Then, once that "parallel RCLSTG" is completed, you can vary off the IASPs, then attach them and vary them all on to the primary "production" LPAR once again.

Someone else mentioned "High Availability" -- for example, this approach would also permit you to vary off one IASP, attach it to another LPAR and run a full back-up of that IASP on that LPAR, then vary it off and back onto the "live" production LPAR once again. If you group libraries into these IASPs based on what "applications" use those libraries, this could allow you to keep your "warehouse" applications "up and running" while the "financials" applications are being backed-up, for instance.

HTH,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 10/13/2014 2:18 AM, Graap, Kenneth wrote:
I have a Power720 system with 2 active processors, 96GB of RAM and an 8TB iASP - 50% utilized. Not a large system by today's standards.

For some reason, that is still being determined, this system CRASHED HARD (immediately did a MSD and IPL'ed) right at the beginning of a work day.

After a hard crash like this it is strongly recommended that a RCLSTG process be run.

After negotiating a 12 hour window on Sunday, I started running RCLSTG against the 8TB iASP...

After over 9 hours, the "Reading objects from disk" step was only 51% complete with an estimated remaining time of almost 9 more hours!

Reclaim Storage in Progress S02
10/12/14 23:01:46
RCLSTG:
Select/Omit/ASP device or group : *ALL *NONE IASP1
Start date and time . . . . . . : 10/12/14 13:47:38
Current step / total . . . . . : 2 7

Reclaim Storage Step Percent Time Elapsed Time Remaining
Data base/library/directory recovery 100 00:00:11 00:00:00
>Reading objects from disk 51 09:13:54 08:52:10
Processing data base relationships 0
File ID table recovery 0
Directory recovery 0
Object description verification 0
Final cleanup 0

I had to abort the Reclaim Storage process and bring up the system, knowing full well that when (or if) I restart RCLSTG it will start from the beginning again.

It seems like the RCLSTG process needs to be modified in some way that it can complete in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe it could be designed to multitask (??) or keep track of what it had done so if restarted it could continue where it left off (??) ... All I know is it isn't working for me...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Kenneth
Kenneth E. Graap
NW Natural
System Administrator for IBM Power Systems
503.226.4211 x5537
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kennethgraap