This problem occurs ONLY with IBM's FTP site.  Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.
I had a PMR open with IBM about this but they said there was no problem with their FTP site and there was nothing else they could do about it.
I realize it's something with my PC, but can't believe I'm the only one in the world with this problem, and it does seem strange that I haven't found any FTP site other than IBM's that I can't access.

I discovered the problem when trying to download an IBM i Access Service Pack from:
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/access/windows_sp.html

If I click on any service pack number (like SI49800) my browser (whether I.E., Firefox, Chrome) hangs.
In Firefox for example it displays "Beginning FTP transaction..." at lower left.
Usually if you kill the open Firefox tab it pops up a message "220 *******************************************************".

This USED to work fine on my PC until a few weeks ago.
It's NOT an issue with my router or ISP - other PC's in the house (one with Win XP Pro SP3 like mine, another with Vista) have no problems accessing the FTP directory, and downloading the service pack files.
If I connect my PC to a WiFi hotspot away from home I have the same problem.
I have the problem whether I connect via WiFi or wired Ethernet adapter.

If I try to access the IBM FTP site via FileZIlla I get:
Status:Resolving address of public.dhe.ibm.com
Status:Connecting to 170.225.15.112:21...
Status:Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:220-*******************************************************************************
Error:Connection timed out
Error:Could not connect to server
Status:Waiting to retry...
Status:Resolving address of public.dhe.ibm.com
Status:Connecting to 170.225.15.112:21...
Status:Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:220-*******************************************************************************
Error:Connection timed out
Error:Could not connect to server

Accessing other FTP sites works fine with any browser, and also with FIleZilla.
For example:
Status:Resolving address of ftp.mozilla.org
Status:Connecting to 63.245.215.56:21...
Status:Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:220-
Response:220-   ftp.mozilla.org / archive.mozilla.org - files are in /pub/mozilla.org
Response:220-
Response:220-   Notice: This server is the only place to obtain nightly builds and needs to
Response:220-   remain available to developers and testers. High bandwidth servers that
Response:220-   contain the public release files are available at ftp://releases.mozilla.org/
Response:220-   If you need to link to a public release, please link to the release server,
Response:220-   not here. Thanks!
Response:220-
Response:220-   Attempts to download high traffic release files from this server will get a
Response:220-   "550 Permission denied." response.
Response:220
Command:USER anonymous
Response:331 Please specify the password.
Command:PASS **************
Response:230-
Response:230-   ftp.mozilla.org / archive.mozilla.org - files are in /pub/mozilla.org
Response:230-
Response:230-   Notice: This server is the only place to obtain nightly builds and needs to
Response:230-   remain available to developers and testers. High bandwidth servers that
Response:230-   contain the public release files are available at ftp://releases.mozilla.org/
Response:230-   If you need to link to a public release, please link to the release server,
Response:230-   not here. Thanks!
Response:230-
Response:230-   Attempts to download high traffic release files from this server will get a
Response:230-   "550 Permission denied." response.
Response:230 Login successful.
Command:SYST
Response:215 UNIX Type: L8
Command:FEAT
Response:211-Features:
Response: EPRT
Response: EPSV
Response: MDTM
Response: PASV
Response: REST STREAM
Response: SIZE
Response: TVFS
Response: UTF8
Response:211 End
Command:OPTS UTF8 ON
Response:200 Always in UTF8 mode.
Status:Connected
Status:Retrieving directory listing...
Command:PWD
Response:257 "/"
Command:TYPE I
Response:200 Switching to Binary mode.
Command:PASV
Response:227 Entered Passive Mode (63,245,215,56,202,210)
Command:LIST
Response:150 Here comes the directory listing.
Response:226 Directory send OK.
Status:Directory listing successful

Neil Palmer, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

(This account not monitored for personal mail,
remove the last two letters before @ for that)